Defendants Taking Pleas in Absentia

What happens if a defendant lives outside of the State or even the country, and would like to enter or accept a plea offer?
A defendant can, if he or she wishes, enter what is called a plea in absentia.
A plea in absentia is done in the form of an affidavit which the Defendant signs, indicating that he understands the consequences of his plea and that he accepts the plea offer from the Prosecutor.
This can be done anywhere as long as the form is notarized.

Once the defendant completes and signs the form in front of a notary he or she will send the document to his or her attorney who will bring it up in front of the judge.

If you know someone who wants to enter a plea in absentia, call our offices to speak with attorney Ralph Behr.

Call our offices now, 954-761-3444. Phones answered 24/7

Contact Information